Thursday 3 March 2022

A trip to the dark side of town

After a covid outbreak in the house and distractions from numerous other sources, here's another update.

I got seriously distracted from the Inventors that were mentioned in my previous post. At first more Scylla figures caught my attention, which will be ready some time next week. Also there were those Shanty Town hovels that were lying around primed and ready to be painted (many thanks to my friend Stefan, who very kindly passed his hovels on to me). 

Before priming, all hdf was sealed by applying shellac (https://www.rustins.ltd/rustins/our-products/indoor/shellac-sanding-sealer). I learned about shellac in a video from OnTableTop's  'Gerry can ...' series in which Gerry shows you how you can seal your mdf/hdf. The reason for sealing is that by doing so, you stop the mdf from absorbing all your paint, which makes it much easier to get good coverage. 

I must say I think shellac works great! Applying it is quick and easy (I use foam from a blister pack to do this), it dries fast and isn't overly smelly/messy. Once dry, I only needed one coat of grey primer from a spray can to get perfect coverage. A downside of shellac is that it's a bit expensive, but I recon the bottle I got will last me for several years. I'll probably will also save plenty of time, effort, money, exposure to fumes and complaints from my neighbours as I'll need far fewer cans of spraypaint to get decent coverage, 

After applying a medium grey primer, I applied different browns and a dusting of copper and green to the various roofs. Walls, doors and windows were painted using mainly artist en masonry paints. Coverage of these colours wasn't that important, because I was aiming for a weathered, stripy look.

Weathering was done using some washes, drybrushing (with a very big brush) and 'Streaking Grime' from AK Interactive. To add more character, I added advertising posters which can be found here: 

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgCNwicNek7bjWhzQu3RQOH_5nK7?e=9W0GAe

(the link on the Wolsung webpage isn't working, so I made a scan of the original print that comes with Micro Arts' Wolsung Advertising Columns) 

Below you can see some pictures of the finished result, plus two shots of one of the locals you can encounter in this part of town.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Blast from the (recent) past

Today, after quite a pause, a blast from the recent past! In March and April the hobby focus was mainly on getting stuff ready for PolderCon...